Simplicity 2345 for Easter

I really wanted to make a new dress to wear for Easter this year, using  Simplicity 2345. I was intrigued by the idea of making this dress that actually looks like two pieces: a knit top and a woven skirt. Now I know for sure that I am more process oriented than product, because I find I just want to sew something now just to sew it, trying a new technique or two along the way! 
First on my agenda was to sew the knit top, to check the fit after my usual FBA, which was spot on. I did find that I needed to cut a more open armhole, which has been consistent across my last few projects. I think that is because I have figured out that I needed to go down a size to fit the neck and shoulder area and then apply the FBA. 

I am happy with the way the top turned out, perfect for work with a sweater or jacket.  I purchased the fabric at JoAnn's since the teal matched perfectly with the cardi I was wearing that day :-)




The cut-on cowl is it's own facing, which only goes past the bust point. That wouldn't work with the more sheer white knit that I chose for the dress, so I just extended the length for the front facing, and cut two backs and treated them as one piece. No show through! (which would be evident on the dress form which wears a black bra by default LOL!). The aqua fabric is similar to boucle, but polyester I am sure. I picked it up last year off of JoAnn's Red Tag clearance table.




 I stabilized the knit with fusible interfacing as the pattern suggested before sewing in the side zipper.
                                          The belt closes with just one snap at the side.



The jacket is unlined, so it was quick to put together. 




I am pleased with my "ladies who lunch" Easter outfit. No pics yet of me wearing it, I totally forgot to take them on Sat. evening before attending the Easter Vigil Mass. Hope to remember to grab a couple next time I wear it!

Comments

  1. Gorgeous outfits, great job on all the sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a darling little suit, Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're ready for that guest spot on "Mad Men" :) turned out great! I really like that color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    This blog post was featured on Simplicity’s Facebook page. I will include the link to the page so you can have a look. Please invite your followers to see your post on our page. I hope you continue doing wonderful work and include simplicity into your designs.

    http://www.facebook.com/simplicitypatterns#!/simplicitypatterns

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants