Circle quilt/playmat

Like most of my sewing/crafting/blogging friends, I am inspired by and addicted to Pinterest! When my daughter mentioned that she needed a baby shower gift for a dear college friend, I was glad that I had pinned this tutorial to my "Quilts" board. 

My daughter was already planning to gift the new arrival with a book or two, and we both agreed that this matching circle quilt/playmat would be a great shower gift.

Fabric.com has a large selection of Dr. Suess fabrics, and I ordered 1/2 yard cuts of 5 different designs, adding to that some polka dot fabric from my stash. Note: due to the length of the 
10 degree wedge ruler, fat quarters won't be big enough.


In order to accommodate the 50" circumference, I pieced the back with 4 large wedge shapes using the red/white & black/white polka dot fabrics. Yippee...reversible!


The quilt was sandwiched with a cotton/poly batting, and quilted in the ditch at each of the 36 wedges and around the center circle, which was sewn on with machine applique. I bound the quilt with a bias binding to finish it off.



What a fun project! There are so many adorable quilting fabrics available these days, and I'm sure I will make this again. :-)

Comments

  1. Great baby gift,love the connection with the fabric and the book

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic present! I love the colors, As a former reading teacher, I think every new baby should have others help them build a library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive - what a unique baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674