It's hard to believe, but our daughter's wedding on November 15, 2014 has come and gone! What a beautiful weekend with family and friends. We are so lucky to add a son to our family, and to combine the two families too!
Knowing that sewing the wedding dress for the big day was too big of a challenge for me, I offered to make the bride's dress for the rehearsal/dinner. She described to me what design details she was looking for, and we agreed that New Look 6209 was a great match! We made a trip to Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, IL.and the perfect fabric was found.
Since I live in Michigan and my daughter lives in Chicago, making a muslin to dial in the fit for this special occasion dress was a must. What fun to fit the muslin, and then take out the basting and use the muslin as pattern pieces! Previously, I have transferred the adjustments to the paper pattern, but this eliminates that step. Speaking of adjustments.....can I say how much I love dresses with princess seams?! Although this dress almost fit perfectly out of the envelope, and I only had to adjust the shoulder and take in the seams at the waist by 1/4" or so.
This pattern is not designed with a lining, but it wasn't any trouble to make one. I had to put my thinking cap on for a minute, though, to address the peek-a-boo cut-out in the bodice front. Hand stitching the lining to the zipper, and also the sleeves into the armcyces and sleeve hems made the inside almost as pretty as the outside!
The flat lighting in the hotel room doesn't do this fabric justice. The picture below (with the Maid of Honor and our other engaged daughter!) shows the brocade surface better. I was so pleased that she liked her dress, and her smile says it all!
By planning ahead and finishing my daughter's dress with time to spare, I decided to squeeze out a dress for myself: the MOB (Mother of the Bride!).
I needed a quick and easy pattern, and so I pulled McCall's 6069 out of my pattern file.
I absolutely love this graphic ITY jersey, but I have no notes on when or where I purchased it.
I liked the deep drape of the cowl at the back, but I did have to raise the drape a bit. I added an FBA, but I think it was unnecessary. I also added 1 inch to the bodice length, and 3 inches to the hem.
With tights and boots, this is a great party dress, and with a cardi a nice dress for work, too!