McCalls 6996

My first finish in 2015 was McCall's 6996, a longer, drapey cardigan made with a thin ribbed sweater knit that has a subdued "sparkle" to it. 


I went right to the serger for construction, as this is a very forgiving knit and I didn't anticipate any fit issues. Speaking of construction, a few things of note: I serged in a light weight woven fusible strip at the shoulder seams to support the seams. I also decided to finish the raw edges with the serger, after spraying the edges with spray starch and pressing. That seemed to stabilize the edge a bit before serging. I didn't want to weigh down the drape with a hem of any kind, and that has seemed to work, tho I may go back and add a small turned-in & stitched hem at the sleeve edge. 





I find I like wearing the skinnier pant silhouette, along with leggings on occasion, but only with a top that has a longer length and plenty of drape for balance. 
McCalls 6996 is a quick and easy pattern with great results for the beginning sewist as well as for the more experienced. And as both of my daughters have asked for one for themselves, I believe this is a design for both the young and young-at-heart!
Happy 2015!

Comments

  1. That looks great, Patty, I really like the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. It fit perfectly right out of the pattern envelope....but then that is using a stretchy knit. I'm not having as easy a time sewing the cotton flannel plaid!

      Delete
  2. This is super flattering on you. Does it have ties? - my screen is too dark to see. I love the shaping in the back. I bet you'll where this a lot. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! No, I didn't make the ties/belt, just an open cardigan. Quick and easy!
      Thanks for your kind words. Stay warm!

      Delete
  3. This is a great piece! Love it! It looks really nice on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the straight lines in the front, and the peplum in the back. It looks great with the skinnier pants or leggings look, as well! Thanks for your pattern review. What a gorgeous quilt in the background. Did you make that as well? This is the first time I have visited your blog, but will return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! This is an easy piece to wear, and I have fabric to make another.
      Yes, I made that quilt from a McKenna Ryan pattern several years ago. It hangs in my husband's dental office reception area :-) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, quick and easy pattern. Would look great in an animal print !

      Delete
  6. Cardi looks great on you, very flattering and stylish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely made, and that style looks really good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Nice to have a successful project to start the sewing year!

      Delete
  8. Looking good, Patty. Lovely sweater jacket. I see a few more of these in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic addition to the wardrobe. Great basic and you are rocking in. Love the moose on the wall hanging behind you. g

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a flattering cardigan! I notice yours looks longer in the front, the asymetrical hemline look, but the pattern shows an even hemline. Is that just a trick of the camera or did you alter yours to make it longer in the front? I have some sweater knit in the stash looking for a project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674